31 March 2009

The Production of Knowledge

I was struck full in the face just how quickly we can access information about society in this day and age. I was watching American Idol (of course we DVR it so we don't have to watch the commercials), and Adam Lambert sang an old Wild Cherry song, "Play that Funky Music White Boy". I thought Rick James had done that song and I knew Vanilla Ice covered it at one time. I decided to google the song and found this article on wikipedia. I could not believe that the page had been updated with information about Lambert's performance of the song before the show was even over! I was blown away!

I talk in my class about how quickly we are able to access knowledge and this is just a really fine example of how quickly our society produces knowledge. According to @mishelleyb "Not only can we be consumers of knowledge, we can be producers of it and that production can be instantaneous!" I sit writing this post, thinking that someone, somewhere MIGHT be interested in reading what I have to say and the information I have to share is available within seconds of putting it into the keyboard of the laptop. Absolutely amazing. At no other time in history have people been able to say so much so quickly. I love it! Web 2.0 is the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment